The Broward County Commission is spending the day with ethics experts today as part of morality training mandated by voters in the new ethics code.
Stacy Ritter, Ilene Lieberman and the rest of the bunch will learn from the likes of former State Supreme Court Justice Gerald Kogan, new Broward Ethics Czar John Scott, municipal attorney Sam Goren (say what?), and other ethics champions.
Here are a few of the more curious comments overheard during the training:
5. But I use my married name when I lobby cities in my district for developers. That way it doesn’t count.
4. My campaign isn’t allowed to pay my husband’s lobbying office phone bills? Nonsense.
3. Ron Book is my daughter …. (slap) he’s my sister … (slap) he’s my sister, my daughter … (slap) he’s my sister and my daughter!
2. You don’t understand, it was a very old golf cart.
1. But the Florida Commission on Ethics said I could!